Lakes Region Towns
Learn more about different towns in the Lakes Region, including history, demographic info, employers, town government, schools and more.
This town was first granted in 1759 to 4 young men of Portsmouth, and named Wolfeboro in honor of General James Wolfe, who had been victorious at Quebec in 1759. In 1764, 2,300 acres were added to the 60 acres reserved for the governor: Gov. John Wentworth established an estate on the site, known as Kingswood. This was the first summer country estate in northern New England, thus the town’s slogan: “The Oldest Summer Resort in America.”
Called “The Diamond in the Heart of New Hampshire”, Tuftonboro was the only New Hampshire town owned by just one man, John Tufton Mason, ,for whom the town was named. Mason was heir to the Masonian Claim, the undivided lands of northern new Hampshire, which he sold to a group of Portsmouth merchants in 1746, thereafter known as the Masonian Proprietors.
The town fronts Alton Bay, the southeastern point of Lake Winnipesaukee, and its 19.3 square miles of inland water area is the largest of any in New Hampshire.